Ysursa v. Pocatello Education Association
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 3, 2008
|Feb 24, 2009||6-3||Roberts||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether, under the First Amendment, a state legislature may bar political subdivisions from making payroll deductions for political activities.
Judgment: Reversed, 6-3, in an opinion by Chief Justice John Roberts on February 24, 2009.
- Some limits on political donations upheld (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Ben Ysursa, In His Official Capacity as Idaho Secretary of State; and Lawrence G. Wasden, In His Official Capacity as Idaho Attorney General
- Brief for Respondent Pocatello Education Association, the Idaho Education Association; the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 743, Professional Fire Fighters of Idaho, Inc., Service Employees International Union Local 687, Idaho State AFL-CIO, and Mark L. Heideman In His Official Capacity as Bannock County Prosecuting Attorney
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Ben Ysursa, In His Official Capacity as Idaho Secretary of State; and Lawrence G. Wasden, In His Official Capacity as Idaho Attorney General
- Brief for the Mountain States Legal Foundation in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Americans for Limited Government in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the States of Utah, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, New Hampshire, and Texas in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Pacific Legal Foundation in Support of Neither Party