United States v. Hayes
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 10, 2008
|Feb 24, 2009||7-2||Ginsburg||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether, to qualify as a â€œmisdemeanor crime of domestic violenceâ€ under 18 USC 922(g)(9), the offense must have as an element a domestic relationship between the offender and the victim.
Judgment: Reversed, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on February 24, 2009.
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner United States of America
- Brief for Respondent Randy Edward Hayes
- Reply Brief for Petitioner United States of America
- Brief for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, International Association of Chiefs of Police, Major Cities Chiefs, National Sheriffs' Association, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, the Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association, the Police Executive Research Forum, National Black Police Association, National Latino Peace Officers Association, Legal Community Against Violence and the School Safety Advocacy Council in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for United States Senators Frank R. Lautenberg, Diane Fienstein, and Patty Murray in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Eagle Forum Education and Legal Defense Fund in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Gun Owners Foundation in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Professors of Linguistics and Cognitive Science in Support of Neither Party