Travelers Indemnity v. Bailey, et al.; Common Law Settlement Counsel v. Bailey, et al.
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Mar 30, 2009
|Jun 18, 2009||7-2||Souter||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a federal bankruptcy court can block private lawsuits that seek damages for injury and death due to exposure to asbestos.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice David Souter on June 18, 2009.
- Court rejects DNA access claim (Lyle Denniston)
- Court to rule on bankruptcy powers, ship tax (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and DocumentsMerit briefs
- Brief for Petitioner The Travelers Indemnity Company, Travelers Casualty and Surety Company and Travelers Property Casualty Corp.(in 08-295 only)
- Brief for Petitioner Common Law Settlement Counsel(in 08-307 only)
- Brief for Respondent Pearlie Bailey, Shirley Melvin, General Lee Cole, Robert Alvin Griffin, Vernon Warnell, Lee Fletcher Anthony, and the Cascino Asbestos Claimants
- Brief for Respondent Chubb Indemnity Insurance Company
- Reply Brief for Petitioner The Travelers Indemnity Company, Travelers Casualty and Surety Company and Travelers Property Casualty Corp.(in 08-295 only)
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Common Law Settlement Counsel (in 08-307 only)
- Brief for Resolute Management, Inc., in Support of Petitioner (in 08-295 only)
- Brief for Jagdeep S. Bhandari, Susan Block-Lieb, Erwin Chemerinsky, Ingrid Hillinger, George W. Kuney, Charles W. Mooney, Jr., Theresa J. Pulley Radwan, Keith Sharfman, Michael D. Sousa, Ettie Ward, and Robert M. Zinman in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Future Claimants Representatives in Support of Neither Party