Shady Grove Orthopedic Associates, P.A. v. Allstate Insurance Company
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 2, 2009
|Mar 31, 2010||5-4||Scalia||OT 2009|
Holding: Federal Rule 23 controls when a class action lawsuit may be filed in federal court, so states do not have the authority to limit the right to sue.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia on March 31, 2010. Justice Stevens concurred in part and concurred in the judgment. Justice Ginsburg dissented, joined by Justices Kennedy, Breyer, and Alito.
- Academic round-up (Amanda Frost)
- Analysis: Sorting out an Erie sequel (Lyle Denniston)
- Analysis: Shady Grove edges on slippery slopes (Lyle Denniston)
- A new look at the "Erie doctrine" (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Shady Grove Orthopedic Associates, P.A.
- Brief for Respondent Allstate Insurance Company
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Shady Grove Orthopedic Associates, P.A.
- Brief for Public Justice in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Partnership for New York City, Inc., the Business Council of New York State, Inc., NYTORTREFORMNOW.ORG, the American Insurance Association, Property Casualty Insurers Association of America, and the Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America in Support of Respondent