Ryan v. Gonzales
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Oct 9, 2012
|Jan 8, 2013||9-0||Thomas||OT 2012|
Holding: 18 U.S.C. § 3599 does not provide a state prisoner with the right to suspend his federal habeas proceedings when he is adjudged incompetent.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Thomas on January 8, 2013.
- Opinion recap: Rees clarified, after forty-six years (Lyle Denniston)
- Argument recap: Judges get no respect (Lyle Denniston)
- Argument preview: Sorting out competency (Lyle Denniston)
- Competency and death-row challenges (Lyle Denniston)
- Petition of the day (Kiran Bhat)