Rehberg v. Paulk
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Nov 1, 2011
|Apr 2, 2012||9-0||Alito||OT 2011|
Holding: A witness in a grand jury proceeding is entitled to the same absolute immunity from suit under Section 1983 as a witness who testifies at trial.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: affirmed, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Alito on April 2, 2012.
- Opinion analysis: Absolute immunity for grand jury witnesses (Timothy Coates)
- Argument recap: Common law and common practice (Timothy Coates)
- Argument preview: Of secrecy and sandwiches (Timothy Coates)
- Analysis: A rare rebuff for the SG (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and DocumentsMerits Briefs in Support of the Petitioner
- Brief in opposition of respondent James P. Paulk (unavailable)
- Amicus brief of the Government Accountability Project (unavailable)