Meacham v. Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Apr 23, 2008
|Jun 19, 2008||TBD||Souter||OT 2007|
Issue: Whether, under Smith v. City of Jackson (2005), an employee alleging disparate impact under the ADEA has the burden of persuasion in establishing the contested action was based on â€œreasonable factors other than age.â€
Judgment: Vacated and remanded, in an opinion by Justice David Souter on June 19, 2008.
- Opinion Recap: Meacham v. Knolls Atomic Power Lab
- Court rules on self-representation; 4 workers' rights decisions
- Argument recap: Meacham v. Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
- Argument preview: Meacham v. Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
- Petitioner's brief available in Meacham
- Court to hear case on "light" cigarette ads
Briefs and Documents
- Opinion below (2nd Circuit)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief in opposition
- Petitioner's reply
- Invitation brief of the United States (recommending grant)
- Brief for Petitioner Clifford B. Meacham, et al.
- Brief for Respondent Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory, et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Clifford B. Meacham, et al.
- Brief for AARP, the American Association of University Professors, and the National Employment Lawyers Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the United States of America in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for General Electric in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the National School Board Association in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Employment Labor Law Committee of the Association of Corporate Counsel in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Equal Employment Advisory Council, the National Federation of Independent Business, and the Society for Human Resources Management in Support of Respondent