Martinez v. Regents of the University of CaliforniaPetition for certiorari denied on June 6, 2011
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|10-1029||California Supreme Court||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||OT 2010|
Issue: (1) Whether a state statute that provides resident tuition rates at public postsecondary institutions to illegal aliens, based on their attendance at high schools in the state, is preempted by 8 U.S.C.Â§ 1623; (2) whether a court must undertake conflict preemption analysis after concluding that an express preemption provision does not apply in a case involving both types of preemption claims.
Briefs and Documents
- Opinion below (California Supreme Court)
- Petition for certiorari
- Brief of the Regents of the University of California et al. in opposition
- Brief of the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges et al. in opposition
- Petitioners' reply
- Amicus brief of the Eagle Forum Education and Legal Defense Fund, Inc.
- Amicus brief of U.S. Reps. Lamar Smith et al.