Locke v. Karass
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Oct 6, 2008
|Jan 21, 2009||9-0||Breyer||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a public sector union may include in non-membersâ€™ agency fees costs for litigation outside the bargaining unit.
Judgment: Affirmed, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer on January 21, 2009.
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Locke v. Karass (Eliza Presson)
- Workers oppose divided argument in union dispute (Ben Winograd)
- Court to hear four appeals, plus an Original case (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Daniel B. Locke, et al., on Behalf of Themselves and the Class They Seek to Represent
- Brief for Respondent Maine State Employees Association, SEIU Local 1989, Service Employees International Union
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Daniel B. Locke, et al., on Behalf of Themselves and the Class They Seek to Represent
- Motion for Leave to File Brief Amicus Curiae and Brief for the Pacific Legal Foundation, The National Federation of Independent Business Small Business Legal Center, Mackinac Center for Public Policy, Northwestern Legal Foundation, Southeastern Legal Foundation, and the Atlantic Legal Foundation in Support Of Petitioner
- Brief for the Commonwealth of Virginia in Support of Neither Party
- Brief for the United States