Haywood v. Drown
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
|07-10374||N.Y. Court of Appeals||
Dec 3, 2008
|May 26, 2009||5-4||Stevens||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a state law barring state courts from hearing damages actions against corrections officers violates the Supremacy Clause by not permitting adjudication of claims under 42 USC 1983.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens on May 26, 2009.
- Court overrules Michigan v. Jackson
- Oral Argument Recap: Haywood v. Drown
- SCOTUSwiki Preview: Haywood v. Drown
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Keith Haywood
- Brief for Respondent Curtis Drown, et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Keith Haywood
- Brief for Professors of Constitutional Law and Federal Jurisdiction in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Legal Services of New York, Prisoners Rights Project, the New York State Defenders Association, the Center for Community Alternatives, Prison Legal News, the Uptown People's Law Center, Jerome N. Frank, the Legal Services Organization of Yale Law School, and the Civil Rights Clinic of New York University School of Law in Support of Petitioner