Harbison v. Bell
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Jan 12, 2009
|Apr 1, 2009||7-2||Stevens||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether the Terrorist Death Penalty Enhancement Act of 2005 provides prisoners sentenced under state law the right to federally appointed and funded counsel to pursue clemency under state law, and whether a district courtâ€™s denial of such a request may be appealed without a certificate of appealability.
Judgment: Reversed, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens on April 1, 2009.
- Opinion Analyses: Harbison and Mirzayance (Kristina Moore)
- Argument Preview: Harbison v. Bell (Kristina Moore)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Edward Jerome Harbison
- Brief for Respondent Ricky Bell, Warden
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Edward Jerome Harbison
- Brief for Current and Former Governors in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Constitution Project in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the United States in Support of the Judgment Below