Fitzgerald, et vir v. Barnstable School Committee, et al.
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Dec 2, 2008
|Jan 21, 2009||9-0||Alito||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether Title IX precludes Section 1983 constitutional claims to remedy sex discrimination in educational settings.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Samuel Alito on January 21, 2009.
- Analysis: The problem of claiming too little
- Argument preview: Did Title IX displace the Constitution?
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Lisa Ryan Fitzgerald and Robert Fitzgerald
- Brief for Respondent Barnstable School Committee and Russell Dever
- Brief of the Pacific Legal Foundation in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of the National Associaton of Women Lawyers in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of the American Bar Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Women’s Law Center in Support of Petitioner
- Brief of the National School Boards Association, the American Council on Education, and the American Association of School Administrators in Support of Respondent