Erica P. John Fund, Inc. v. Halliburton Co.
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Apr 25, 2011
|Jun 6, 2011||9-0||Roberts||OT 2010|
Holding: Securities fraud plaintiffs need not prove loss causation to obtain class certification.
Plain English Holding: Shareholders who allege that they were defrauded do not have to prove that the alleged fraud caused them to lose money to receive permission to proceed as a class action, rather than in individual lawsuits, even if they will eventually have to prove those losses at trial to win their case.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Vacated and remanded on June 6, 2011.
- Opinion analysis: Fraud-on-market theory intact (Lyle Denniston)
- Argument recap: â€œA crazy way to run a railroad?â€ (Linda S. Mullenix)
- Argument preview: Required showings for securities plaintiffs (Kiera Flynn)
- New invitation brief (Anna Christensen)
Invited: October 4, 2010
Filed: December 3, 2010 (Grant)
Briefs and DocumentsMerits Briefs
- Brief of Petitioner Erica P. John Fund, Inc.
- Brief for Respondent Halliburton Co. et al.
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Erica P. John Fund, Inc.
- Brief for the United States in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Financial Economists in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Law Professors Robert Bartlett, Barbara Black, Chris Brummer, William J. Carney, John C. Coffee, Jr., James D. Cox, Lawrence A. Cunningham, Jill E. Fisch, Merritt B. Fox, Erik F. Gerding, Thomas Lee Hazen, Joan Macleod Heminway, Donald C. Langevoort, Frank Partnoy, Margaret V. Sachs, Marc I. Steinberg, Randall S. Thomas, and Cynthia A. Williams in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the National Association of Shareholder and Consumer Attorneys in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Public Justice P.C., in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for 16 Public Pension Funds in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for AARP and the North American Securities Administrators Association in Support of Petitioner
- BriefÂ for DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufactures of America in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Support of Respondent
- Brief of Law Professors in Support of Respondent
- Brief for The American Insurance Association, Axis Insurance Company, Continental Casualty Company, and HCC Global Financial Products Supporting Affirmance
- Brief for National Conference on Public Employment Retirement Systems (NCPERS) in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Chamber of Commerce in Support of Respondents