Cone v. Bell
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Dec 9, 2008
|Apr 28, 2009||7-2||Stevens||OT 2008|
Disclosure: Akin Gump represented the petitioner.
Issue: Whether a federal habeas claim is â€œprocedurally defaultedâ€ because it has been presented twice to the state courts, and whether a federal habeas court is powerless to recognize that a state court erred in holding that state law precludes reviewing a claim.
Judgment: Vacated and remanded, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens on April 28, 2009.
- Justice Stevens' Commitment to Prosecutorial Ethics (Rory Little)
- Debate continues over the Court's "GVR" authority (Kevin Russell)
- Argument Recap: Cone v. Bell (Eliza Presson)
- Cone v. Bell Reply Brief (Tom Goldstein)
- A new vote for property rights? (Lyle Denniston)
- Reply Brief in Cone v. Bell (Jason Harrow)
- New Cert. Petition: Cone v. Bell (Jason Harrow)
- A new way to attack death sentences (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and Documents
- Brief for Petitioner Gary Bradford Cone
- Brief for Respondent Ricky Bell, Warden
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Gary Bradford Cone
- Brief for Former Prosecutors in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for Veterans For America in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation in Support of Respondent