Atlantic Sounding Co., Inc., et al. v. Townsend
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Mar 2, 2009
|Jun 25, 2009||5-4||Thomas||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether a seaman may recover punitive damages for the willful failure to pay maintenance and cure.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Affirmed and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas on June 25, 2009.
Briefs and DocumentsMerit Briefs
- Brief for Petitioner Atlantic Sounding, Inc. and Weeks Marine, Inc.
- Brief for Respondent Edgar Townsend
- Reply Brief for Petitioner Atlantic Sounding Company, Inc., and Weeks Marine, Inc.
- Brief for Cruise Lines International Association in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the Sailors' Union of the Pacific in Support of Respondent
- Brief for Port Ministries International in Support of Respondent
- Brief for American Association for Justice in Support of Respondent