14 Penn Plaza LLC v. Pyett
|Docket No.||Op. Below||Argument||Opinion||Vote||Author||Term|
Dec 1, 2008
|Apr 1, 2009||5-4||Thomas||OT 2008|
Issue: Whether an arbitration clause in a collective bargaining agreement waiving employeesâ€™ right to file statutory discrimination claims is enforceable.
Plain English Summary:
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas on April 1, 2009.
- Reminder: Webcast and CLE on 14 Penn Plaza (Tom Goldstein)
- Webcast and CLE on 14 Penn Plaza (Tom Goldstein)
- Opinion Analysis: 14 Penn Plaza, LLC v. Pyett (Eliza Presson)
- Court to hear four appeals, plus an Original case (Lyle Denniston)
Briefs and DocumentsMerit briefs
- Brief for Petitioner 14 Penn Plaza, LLC., and Temco Service Industries, Inc.
- Brief for Respondent Steven Pyett, Thomas O'Connell, and Michael Phillips
- Reply Brief for Petitioner 14 Penn Plaza, LLC., and Temco Service Industries, Inc.
- Brief for the Equal Employment Advisory Council in Support of Petitioner
- Brief for the National Academy of Arbitrators in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Service Employees International Union, Local 32BJ in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation, Inc., in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations and Change to Win in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the Lawyersâ€™ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the American Association of People with Disabilities, the Asian American Justice Center, Legal Momentum, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the National Partnership for Women & Families, and the National Womenâ€™s Law Center, in Support of Respondent
- Brief for the National Employment Lawyers Association, AARP, and American Association for Justice in Support of Respondent